sound.gif ÀÚ·á½Ç
sound.gif Ã£¾Æ¿À½Ã´Â ±æ
¾ß»ýµ¿¹°ÀÇÇÐ ¼Ò½Ä ¹× ÀÚ·á

View Article
Name
  ¿î¿µÀÚ 2006-01-04 16:39:39 | Hit : 18021 | Vote : 7962
Subject   [ÀÚ·á] Experimental Trichinella infection in seals
Int J Parasitol. 2003 Nov;33(13):1463-70. Related Articles, Links  

Experimental Trichinella infection in seals.

Kapel CM, Measures L, Moller LN, Forbes L, Gajadhar A.

Danish Centre for Experimental Parasitology, The Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, Dyrlaegevej 100, DK1870, Frederiksberg C, Denmark. chk@kvl.dk

The susceptibility of seals to infection with Trichinella nativa and the cold tolerant characteristics of muscle larvae in seal meat were evaluated. Two grey seals, Halichoerus grypus, were inoculated with 5000 (100 larvae/kg) T. nativa larvae and two grey seals with 50000 (1000 larvae/kg). One seal from each dose group and two control seals were killed at 5 and 10 weeks post-inoculation (p.i.). At 5 weeks p.i., infection was established in both low and high dose seals with mean larval densities of 68 and 472 larvae per gram (lpg), respectively, using eight different muscles for analyses. At 10 weeks p.i., mean larval densities were 531 and 2649 lpg, respectively, suggesting an extended persistence of intestinal worms. In seals with high larval density infections, the distribution of larvae in various muscles was uniform, but in one seal with a low larval density infection, predilection sites of larvae included muscle groups with a relative high blood flow, i.e. diaphragm, intercostal and rear flipper muscles. Trichinella-specific antibody levels, as measured by ELISA, increased during the 10 week experimental period. Infected seal muscle was stored at 5, -5 and -18 degrees C for 1, 4 and 8 weeks. Muscle larvae released from stored seal muscle by artificial digestion were inoculated into mice to assess viability and infectivity. Larvae from seal muscle 10 weeks p.i. tolerated -18 degrees C for 8 weeks but larvae from seal muscle 5 weeks p.i. tolerated only 1 week at -18 degrees C, supporting the hypothesis that freeze tolerance increases with the age of the host-parasite tissue complex. The expressed susceptibility to infection, extended production of larvae, antibody response and freeze tolerance of T. nativa in seals are new findings from the first experimental Trichinella infection in any marine mammal and suggest that pinnipeds (phocids, otariiids or walrus) may acquire Trichinella infection by scavenging even small amounts of infected tissue left by hunters or predators.
 Prev   [ÀÚ·á] Hybrid embryos produced by transferring panda or cat somatic nuclei into rabbit MII oocytes can develop to blastocyst in vitro
¿î¿µÀÚ
  2006/01/24 
 Next   [ÀÚ·á] Trichinella nativa in a black bear from Plymouth, New Hampshire
¿î¿µÀÚ
  2006/01/04 

Copyright 1999-2024 Zeroboard / skin by daerew
151-742 ¼­¿ïƯº°½Ã °ü¾Ç±¸ ½Å¸²9µ¿ »ê56-1 ¼­¿ï´ëÇб³ ¼öÀÇ°ú´ëÇÐ 85µ¿ 802È£
Tel 02-888-2744, Fax 02-888-2754, E-mail cgrb@cgrb.org

Copyright © 2002-2004 CGRB All Rights Reserved